Tips for Coping During a Time of Stress
The current COVID 19 outbreak can understandably cause stress for many people. Taking care of yourself, your family and friends will help make our community stronger. Some ways to help you cope include:
- Take breaks from watching, reading or listening to news stories, including social media. Being bombarded with information - both true and not-factual can be unnecessarily upsetting. Listen to music instead.
- Take care of your body and mind by stopping throughout the day to take a few deep breaths, stretch or meditate. There are a lot of free meditation apps like Calm and Mindfulness that can help guide you.
- Love on your dog or cat. Pets are known to reduce stress!
- Be mindful of your eating and try to eat balanced, healthy meals. This is the perfect time to eat together as a family. Yes, treats are OK too, but don't over eat or rely on junk food.
- Fresh air will do wonders for you. Exercise, walk your dog, hike, garden outside. "Have coffee" with your neighbor in your own separate yards.
- Get plenty of sleep.
- Talk about other things with family and friends besides this crisis. If you do discuss it, share accurate information from trusted sources like the CDC, not your neighbor's uncle who knows someone who knows someone. Misinformation creates unnecessary stress.
- Practice gratitude for what you have.